AIA Honolulu Design Awards
2014 Design Awards Gala on July 23
Online Registration Now Closed! The 56th AIA Honolulu Design Awards Gala will take place on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hawaii Prince Hotel in Waikiki.
The AIA Honolulu Design Awards Gala/Celebration is our biggest event of the year and a wonderful opportunity for our members to be recognized by their peers for their effort and dedication to excellence in architectural design. Last year over 200 members and guests attended this event.
View 2014 AIA Honolulu Design Award Entries
Click here to view all 31 AIA Honolulu Design Awards entries. The winners of all the Juried and Popular Choice awards will be revealed during our Design Awards Gala.
Mahalo 2014 Design Awards Sponsor
|2014 Party Sponsors: || || |
|2014 Program Sponsors: || || |
| || || |
AIA Honolulu Design Awards
The AIA Honolulu’s Annual Design Awards is Hawaii’s oldest program of its type—held annually since 1958.
Built and unbuilt projects submitted by local AIA members are judged on their merit by a distinguished jury of AIA architects. All project types are eligible for submission by members—from small home renovations to multi-million dollar resorts.
The Annual AIA Honolulu Design Awards Program provides an avenue for AIA Honolulu architects to be recognized by their peers for their effort and dedication to excellence in architectural design.
In doing so, AIA Honolulu hopes to raise public consciousness, awareness of design excellence and the special role of AIA architects in the community.
Pictured above is one of our 2013 Excellence Award Winners "Omidyar K-1 Neighborhood" by Urban Works Inc.
Many award winning projects from this prestigious awards program are now considered architectural landmarks in our islands—appropriate and well-conceived solutions addressing important urban or social concerns.
- The Award of Excellence is reserved for those projects which stand out from all of the meritorious award winners. This highest honor recognizes projects which are deemed to exemplify excellence of architectural design on all levels of analysis, and exemplify the highest standards to which AIA members aspire.
- The Award of Merit is granted to projects which display a high standard of architectural quality and design.
- Unbuilt Projects Award: Entries may include any project that is either commissioned (client sponsored) or intended for construction, or purely theoretical work not intended for construction–submitted individually (by AIA or Assoc AIA), as a team or firm. The jury will review and select entries in this category based on creativity, originality, power and potential of the ideas presented. Winners for this award remain eligible for entry in the Built project category when and if completed in the future.
Popular Choice Awards:
- Jack C. Lipman, AIA Members' Choice Award. This award was established in 1999 in honor of JackC. Lipman, AIA, one of the Hawaii Chapter’s distinguished past presidents. The recipient of this award is recognized as having achieved an outstanding level of design—appropriate to the climate and culture of Hawaii, as voted by fellow AIA Honolulu members.
- People's Choice Award. First launched in 2007, the People’s Choice Award provides the public an opportunity to view AIA distinguished entrants and determine an annual winner by popular choice. This award aims to encourage public dialog to help shape Hawaii through design excellence.
- The Mayor’s Choice Award. Begun in 1998, the Mayor’s Choice award aims to validate the importance of good design in shaping our city and local communities. Thanks to the honorable Mayor Kirk Caldwell, City and County of Honolulu, for his continued support.
- Hawaii Home+Remodeling: Editor's Choice Award is selected by the editor of the Hawaii Home+Remodeling Magazine from all our residential design award entrants.
View list of all AIA Honolulu Design Awards winners since 1958.
Entry Eligibility Requirements:
- Licensed member architects of the Honolulu Chapter (as of Apr. 1, 2014) may enter for all awards
- Associate AIA members in good standing with the Chapter may submit in the Unbuilt category (only).
unbuilt projects are eligible for re-submittal upon completion.
Previously-awarded completed projects which have undergone substantial
renovation are also eligible for re-submittal. (All other previously
awarded projects are considered ineligible)
- Those projects that did not receive an award in prior year(s) may be resubmitted.
- There is no time limit specified from the date a project was completed to the time it is submitted for award.
- Firms whose employees are members of the jury are not eligible for submission to the Design Awards Program
AIA has maintained an excellent partnership with Pacific Basin Communications, publisher of Hawaii Business, Honolulu, and Hawaii Home+Remodeling. This alliance positions our members within a core readership of business and professional leaders as well as potential private clients. The 2014 Design Award entrants and winners will be featured in the August 2014 issue of Hawaii Business and of the HONOLULU Magazine. Extra copies of the magazine featuring the awards may be obtained by stopping by the AIA Honolulu office during regular business hours or by calling AIA Honolulu at 808-545-4242.
Back to top.